PDA

View Full Version : The almighty Demister pad

Greenspank
08-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Well… I’ve built one cell with no luck at all. I’m going to try a different design, much like the “Aaron” cell wired + n n n - - n n n + using a 1 ½ feet of 4inch pvc. One thing I am wondering is how 2 1/2”X10” plates would work. I’ll see soon enough I think.

Reading these forums, I have an idea for someone that already has a cell working. If you were to place a thin piece of steel wool at the top of the cell what would happen? My thinking is that the steel wool would act just like a demister pad inside the guts of a distillation tower. Demister pads collect condensate while allowing the light stuff to escape. The condensate drips back to the bottom. This steel wool may also help the problem with flashing.
Anyways, I want to build a cell to help my gas guzzling 13.9mpg dodge!

smartHHO
08-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Well… I’ve built one cell with no luck at all. I’m going to try a different design, much like the “Aaron” cell wired + n n n - - n n n + using a 1 ½ feet of 4inch pvc. One thing I am wondering is how 2 1/2”X10” plates would work. I’ll see soon enough I think.

Reading these forums, I have an idea for someone that already has a cell working. If you were to place a thin piece of steel wool at the top of the cell what would happen? My thinking is that the steel wool would act just like a demister pad inside the guts of a distillation tower. Demister pads collect condensate while allowing the light stuff to escape. The condensate drips back to the bottom. This steel wool may also help the problem with flashing.
Anyways, I want to build a cell to help my gas guzzling 13.9mpg dodge!

Not sure I would use Steel Wool. I know that there is the one material you can buy that is on the back of some sponges. Totally non conductive. I would hate to start conduction on top of the cell. Then I might be non productive. But that is another good idea. I read about a piece of plexi on top that would keep the liquid at bay and the gas would just seep thru the cracks. But I think I like your idea better.

Greenspank
08-20-2008, 02:34 PM
True! I think the rough material on those sponges would be a better idea. I wonder about the material found in home AC filters? Is that conductive?

smartHHO
08-20-2008, 02:38 PM
True! I think the rough material on those sponges would be a better idea. I wonder about the material found in home AC filters? Is that conductive?

Not sure if it's conductive. We use a material that we normally use to clean SS and such when we have deep scratches. They call it scotchbrite. I do believe it is a normal name and you can buy the pads in bulk. Cuts real easy with a sharp scissors. Probably the best solution for the splashing.